Dorking Halls is one of Surrey’s leading and busiest entertainment venues.
With a 800+ seater main auditorium, we host live events all year round including top comedians, live music, opera, family shows, pantomimes and ballet. We also have cinema screens playing the latest blockbuster films as well as broadcasting live satellite screenings from the National Theatre, Royal Opera House as well as many international screening.
As well as hosting a busy programme of live theatre events annually and multiple cinema screenings daily, we also cater for a variety of business and professional needs, from informal meetings in the Vaughan Williams Meeting room, to large scale conferences for 750 plus delegates in the Grand Hall.
About the role
To work as part of the Technical Department in all duties relating to technical operations of Dorking Halls, including shows, hires and events, fit-ups and get-outs as well as the maintenance of the venue including systems back of house and front of house.
You will ensure that Dorking Halls is maintained in excellent condition for all visitors, performers and staff and you will demonstrate high standards of customer care at all times.
Main Duties include;
• To act as Duty Technician if required to do so, organising the work of casual staff to ensure that events are properly prepared and delivered and that all other duties are carried out.
• To personally deliver the highest possible standard of customer care to all users of Dorking Halls.
• Setup and operate sound for a standard conference or a small band and to give training to casual staff where required.
• Rig and setup lighting consisting of generic fixtures as well as intelligent lights and to operate the lighting desk (Avolites Pearl Expert) and to give training to casual staff when necessary.
• Rig and setup audio visual equipment for conferences or shows
• To act as a stage manager for incoming events taking responsibility for health and safety for shows and conferences, To fix faults potentially during shows
• To supervise touring crews using the in-house equipment.
• Work as stage hand as required which could involve going on stage during a performance.
• To follow correct procedures and ensure that all projection, technical and stage equipment is safely operated and maintained to the highest possible standards and undertake routine building maintenance work.
• To carry out general maintenance in the Technical & Front Of House areas which includes electrical work to a level that does not require certification.
• To Carry out PAT testing to all portable appliances across the building
• Have a clear understanding of the role of the Technician in an emergency situation and to act as a key holder for the building, and be on call for emergencies.
This post involves shift work, late night working and working weekends and bank holidays. The post holder must have a flexible approach to working to reflect the changing nature of the business.
• Good knowledge and Experience of setting up and operating stage lighting Inc. intelligent lights
• Some Experience of setting up and operating sound equipment – (including Digico Mixers or a willingness to learn)
• Experience of working with amateur organisations
• Experience of working in the technical department of a busy theatre venue
• Current First Aid at Work Qualification or willingness to gain within first year of post.
• IPAF 3a or willingness to gain qualification
• PAT certification or a willingness to gain qualification
• Willingness to gain further training and prepared to travel for training.
- You should have experience of operating and setting up lighting and sound equipment in a professional environment.
- The ideal candidate will have had experience in working with in a technical department of a busy theatre venue as well as experience of working with amateur organisations and touring companies.
- You should have a good understanding of effective customer care and you must have a willingness to work long and unsociable hours with a flexible approach to working hours and availability
Generous annual leave allowance of up to 28 days and a substantial 15% employer’s pension contribution
Wellbeing package including a free eye test, employee assistance programme and a yearly flu jab
Great Discounts at local shops & businesses, films, shows and the café at Dorking Halls
Prime Location easy links from the A24, A25 and M25 with Free Parking and within walking distance of Dorking Main and Deepdene train stations
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Michael Knight on 01306 879316. Alternatively you can contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applicants: Midday 21st August 2019
Interview dates: W/C 27th August 2019
How to apply
Visit our careers website https://jobsatmolevalley.co.uk/job/events-technician/ or email our careers inbox email@example.com submit your CV along with a supporting statement, to let us know how you meet the required skills and experience of the job description and person specification.